Thursday, September 28, 2006

All the 24 years that I have lived on the earth has been in Northern Virginia (except for that two year stint when I went to college in Ohio that I dont really like to think about...my suggestion, don't move to Ohio). In no particular order I have lived in Arlington, Fairfax, Falls Church, Vienna, Oakton, New Baltimore, Merrifield, and Annandale. At some point I thought I was going to move to more exciting places like Chicago, New York City, or Buffalo, but I'm now starting to realize that this is home. I've grown up here yet I have no close relatives living within 400 mile radius of me so I'm pretty much on my own, which is OK by me.

I've never had a license and don't have plans on getting one any time soon. It takes me 50 minutes to travel the 8 miles to work by public transportation. I take a bus, the metro, and then another bus which is mostly a waiting game, but I have my iPod or book of the week to keep my company so I don't mind the commute. It would probably take me almost as much time if I were driving because of the traffic around here. On non-working days if I care to venture out to the grocery store or a local bar I usually have to call a cab (if I cant get one of my friends or the BF to take me). Let it be known that I DESPISE Yellow Cab. I also have the feeling that Red Top and White Top cabs are in on their monopoly of the Northern Virginia area.

My parents never owned a house and often moved us every few years so I have a hard time staying in one spot for too long. Even though I've moved more times than I care to count, the next location is rarely more than 5 miles away from the previous. Since I moved out of my Mom's 5 years ago I've moved about 8 times (roommates can be a bitch) and this includes times when I've had to move back in with Mom in between new leases. Shes moved back up to Buffalo so now it's just me.

Anywho.....this is just an introduction on little old me. I'll be posting random thoughts, happenings, and observations in and around the DC Metropolitan area. I doubt I'll ever mention Maryland unless its to make fun of them. If you're from around here, you might be aware of the unfounded rivalry that exists between Maryland and Virginia. Its dumb, but I love to hate them anyways. Except Baltimore is pretty cool...and the Eastern Shore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this one is great too... good job Lucy
CityLightsCityStreets.com