Friday, September 29, 2006

I'm sure everyone is pretty much up to speed on the Metro expansion project going further into Northern Virginia through Tysons Corner and Reston all the way to Dulles airport. I am a BIG fan of this idea. We've had some set backs due to funding issues and I'm still not really sure if the line going through Tysons will have a tunnel or not.

My opinion is that if this is going to happen, and it is, we MUST build underground. We're not even talking miles of tunnel. The tunnel is just to be built under Tysons Corner which will make the plans for this area (I say this area because its where my office is located) to become more of an urban pedestrian friendly environment in the future. I wish that we could skip ahead ten years and have already made some progress on construction, but unfortunately we have to live in the now.

Sure, traffic will be horrendous during construction, but I believe the end result will be well worth it. This area is growing at a rapid place, and whether it likes it or not this IS an urban area. New building plans are being drafted every day and every time I go down Gallows Road a new housing development has popped up (I won't get started on that...a whole other issue). The area is growing faster than anyone can keep up with and we are clogging our roads with more cars, be them Prius's or SUVs. Action needs to be taken immediately. Sure, it will cost, but the outcome will be so much better for this community.

Maybe my strong opinions on expanding public transportation are because I dont drive, but I think its important to offer alternatives to the people in this area. A lot seem to think that its just easier to hop in your car and go rather than walk, metro, or take a bus, but with gas prices being how they have been, growing obesity, and a polluted environment its time for a change.

*stepping off my soap box*

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I just hope they don't tear down my high school in the process (http://www.fcps.edu/MarshallHS/)