Thursday, October 12, 2006


-There will be an official dedication to the new Air Force Memorial (see picture) Saturday, October 14 beginning at 1:30. I had no idea this was being erected until I was on my way back from a Nats game recently. I didn't even know what those pointy things in the sky were supposed to be until today. In any case if you dig the military, or more specifically, the Air Force you'll probably find this mildly interesting. Keep an eye out for Military groupies...I'm sure they will be out in full force.

-The Small Press Expo is being held this Friday and Saturday (Oct. 13-14) at the Marriott Bethesda North. SPX hosts independent comic artists and writers to exhibit their material to comic book and graphic novel fans. Seems like comics are making a comeback, but I haven't jumped on that bandwagon myself. I never really got past the Betty & Veronica comics.

-I can't remember if I already mentioned this, but Night Dreams in Bethesda will be hosting a "Sexiest Costumes" fashion show Saturday, Oct. 14 from 6-8pm. This looks like a great opportunity for men to openly oogle women in skimpy outfits pre-Halloween. Have at it.

-I will be attending the Green Festival this Saturday at the DC Convention Center. The Green Festival is a joint project hosted by Global Exchange and Co-Op America. I'm looking forward to being surrounded with earth conscious folk in patchwork and hemp. There are some interesting panels, speakers, and movies on the schedule. Come out and learn a bit more about saving our Earth!

-James Blunt will be at Merriweather tomorrow night Oct. 13. Even though I can't really stand the guy, a lot of people seem to like him...

-I don't really like all these suggestions for stuff to do in Maryland, but it appears to be the hot spot this weekend. The Maryland Brewer's Oktoberfest will be held Saturday (Oct. 14) at the MD State Fairgrounds (in Timonium, MD...wherever that is). From the looks of the website, this seems to be a pretty cool event. Admission is $17 and you get three free beer tokens if you come dressed in German attire. There will be over a dozen brewers with over 70 kinds of beer, but, the Beer Belly Contest looks like it might be pretty entertaining!

-I think I might have found the greatest thing ever. There will be an event entitled Don't Hassel the Hof Brau at Rustico in Alexandria on Wednesday, Oct. 18. The idea is you drink Oktoberfest beers and listen to the music of the lovely Mr. Hasselhoff. Starts at 6pm. I don't think I've ever seen such a good reason to go to Happy Hour.

-Tonight is the kick-off for the 16th annual Reel Affirmations Gay & Lesbian film festival which will be going from Oct. 12-21. Tonight they will show the film Shortbus which is directed by John Cameron Mitchell, of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Shortbus features actors engaging in real life sex in the film so its pretty risque (I'm not sure if its ever been done before...) but I've heard great things about this film. The schedule is jam packed with movies being shown at Lincoln Theater, Goethe Institute, and the Landmark E-Street Theater.

-DC Hunt 2006 will be taking place next Saturday Oct. 21 so register now if you would like to participate. The location this year will be in the U Street Corridor. I don't know what this is all about cause I've never done it before, but it looks fun. If anyone is interested in creating a team, let me know...I dont think I have anything to do that day.

-My friend Lindsay is going to the Markoff's Haunted Forest tomorrow night. AOL City Guide rated it in the top 13 haunts in the USA so I guess that means its entertaining and hopefully scary.

-Last on my list (but certainly not the last thing going on in the area this weekend) is Minus the Bear playing at the Black Cat Saturday (Oct. 14). I'll be there!!! Hopefully my foot will bear with me while I dance to Pachuca Sunrise :)

Have a great weekend people!

No comments: